The environment was the latest Mittersill inhabited since the Bronze Age (around 2200 BC). The place was first mentioned in documents 963 and it was the headquarters of three officials: the waiter, the land court and the caregiver, as governor of the sovereign. Most famous was Ignaz von Kürsinger nurse who was with the first ascent of Großvenediger (3,662 m above sea level. A.) substantially involved. According to him, the high alpine Kürsingerhütte in Obersulzbachtal and Kürsingerdamm in urban areas along the Salzach River was named.
As a transportation hub Mittersill won the 14th Century increased more important than the horse and mule transport of salt, iron and copper over the Felbertauern (2481 m) of Alto Adige and Friuli. From there, wines, fruits, velvet and silk were supplied. Today the Felbertauerntunnel has replaced the passport to transport goods, but not for the many hikers and climbers, rising through the Felbertal in the mountains of the Venedigergruppe.
During the Second World War was in Schloss Mittersill a concentration camp, which was assigned to the Mauthausen concentration camp.
In 1918 founded the family Arnsteiner a carpenter, from the then later came the famous ski factory. Toni Arnsteiner made after his return from World War II, the first skis in 1945 and specialized in more and more of the woodwork on the skis. The breakthrough came in 1953 with the new name Blizzard. The Mittersiller Blizzard skis were too fast a leading world ski brands.
1939 in Mittersill an Army school for the ropeway construction was launched. 1943, began construction of a cable car over the ridge, which was to serve the transport of materials. It included a 80-meter cable car pylon in wood and an equally high cable car pylon steel. The former is likely the highest ever built wooden cable car pylon in the world have been. Because of the war's end was the cable car can no longer be completed. In the 1950s, the pillars were removed.
After Baron Hubert von Pantz was established in 1948 with the legendary and exclusive "Sport Shooting Club Schloss Mittersill," then the most expensive club in the world, became Mittersill to a jet-set meeting place quickly. In the 1950s to mid-1960s were the Shah of Iran, and Soraya, the Dutch royal family, King Farouk of Egypt, the Duke of Windsor (Edward VIII), Aristotle Onassis, the Aga Khan, Henry Ford II, Rita Hayworth, Gina Lollobrigida, Clark Gable and many other members of high society in Mittersil guest.
In 1951 in Mittersill Werkschulheim Felbertal was founded as a private boarding school, which moved in 1964 to its current location in Ebenau, Salzburg.
In 1968, wrote the lyrics and composed the Mittersiller Arthur Ensmann the popular song: The Alpenrose from Mittersill, it was sung by his brother, the baker Mittersiller Erich Ensmann. This song was quickly shown to a folk music hit of its time and still is.
In 2007 in Mittersill, Salzburg National Park Hohe Tauern center was built. The National Park Visitor Centre "National Park Worlds" is home to the National Park Worlds, the Science Center and the National Park Hohe Tauern National Park holiday region Hohe Tauern GmbH
For a citizen vote on 24 June 2007, said 89 percent of voters were in favor of a survey Mittersill city. On 8 August 2008, the city charter was presented to Mittersill.
Website Mittersill Plus: www.mittersill-tourismus.at